I am not really a movie person, but of all the MMFF movie trailers that I have seen, I really get chill bumps when I hear the scoring of this movie. I am curious about this movie and I wanna watch it!
Watch out for “Rosario,” a story about love betrayal, guilt and redemption, and about what it means to be ahead of one’s time.
The story revolves around Rosario (Jennylyn Mercado), a paragon of beauty and grace, intelligent, sophisticated, a liberal thinker, a young and liberated Filipina in the 1920s who has just arrived from New York, and is spending her vacation in their hacienda. The daughter of Don Enrique (Phillip Salvador) and Doña Adela (Eula Valdez), Rosario was a passionate woman who lives according to her heart’s desires.
She was a woman ahead of her time then , she meets and falls in love with Vicente (Yul Servo), an older man who manages the tobacco plantation owned by Rosario’s family. When Rosario’s father finds out about his daughter’s scandalous affair, he sends Rosario to a convent.
She escapes, and elopes with Vicente to Manila where they raise a family. But Rosario’s life of married bliss slowly crumbles when Vicente becomes ill with tuberculosis, and she is lured to committing adultery. Temptation and scandal still hound Rosario as she continues to defy the moral restrictions of her time.
Based on a true story and set in one of the most colorful periods in Philippine history, ROSARIO is destined to be a modern masterpiece in Philippine filmmaking. It is a monumental yet intimate portrait of a woman’s emancipation and the sometimes painful consequencesof following one’s desires.
- Jennylyn Mercado as Rosario
- Yul Servo as Vicente
- Dennis Trillo as Alberto
- Isabel Oli as Carmen
- Sid Lucero as Carding
- Philip Salvador as Don Enrique
- Eula Valdez as Doña Adela
- Dolphy as the elder Jesus
- This is Albert Martinez’s first directorial feature film.
- This is Jennylyn Mercado’s first self-titled role/film.
- This is TV5′s (Studio 5) first movie project.
- Bea Alonzo was first considered to play the role of Rosario.
- An on-the-set Spanish consultant was hired to guide actors when they need to deliver lines in Spanish.
- Rosario is the first to use new Arri Alexa camera (in the Philippines).